267 Glenwood Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30312
Offered at $999,000
A Victorian Beauty
One of the first homes in Grant Park
Commissioned by a Central of Georgia Railway Executive
2,977 square feet
5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Original Historic Features
Expansive front porch
Terraced yard leading to a lovely lawn
Eleven years from the founding of Grant Park, this majestic example of Victorian architecture was commissioned by a wealthy railroad executive working for the prestigious Central of Georgia Railway company.
Hidden on a shady street, towards the north area of Grant Park, the house displays the asymmetry & generous porch typical of the period.
Historic Features of the Owl House
The house miraculously retained many of its original features, which have been meticulously restored to their original glory. The name of the house originates from the claw foot tub in the upstairs bathroom. Intricate designs of majestic owls are engraved into the four feet of the bathtub.
The stain glass window of the greeting room features the ‘Grant Park Sunburst’. While this was installed in 1906, it is reminiscent of the Sunbursts sold in the neighborhood since the 1970s. Homes within Grant Park are permitted to feature the Sunburst, and each house proudly displaying their Sunbursts with the number of their home, shows the tight connection of the community.
Each room in the Owl House features an original fireplace with mantel and grate; 8 in total. The fireplaces in the living room and owners suite have gas connection.
Original heart of pine flooring flows throughout the home, and tongue and groove ceiling is prominent in the owner’s suite bathroom. The hand-hewn banisters and disappearing pocket doors combine the history and opulence of the Victorian period and blends it artfully with the airy open floor plan, brand new kitchen & stunning bathrooms.
The Owl House Today
A full renovation of the home in 2021 has brought this majestic beauty back to life. Structural engineers ensured all foundational work was conducted with the utmost care. All plumbing and electrical was replaced. A new HVAC and additional of insulation creates an energy-efficient home. Modern bathrooms and kitchen are supported with a tankless water heater and state-of the-art appliances. All while maintaining the charm of this historic house.
With off street parking and ample space, the lot has the potential for the addition of a carriage house or little home. Architectural drawings have been created and are available to the new owners.
History of Grant Park
Grant Park refers to the oldest city park in Atlanta as well as the Victorian neighborhood surrounding it.
It was established in 1883 when Lemuel P. Grant, a successful engineer and businessman, gave the city of Atlanta 100 acres in the newly developed "suburb" where he lived. In 1890, the city acquired another 44 acres for the park and appointed its first park commissioner, Sidney Root.
In 1903, the Olmsted Brothers (sons of Frederick Law Olmsted) were hired to create a plan for the park. The original park included a lake, named Lake Abana, to handle storm-water runoff.
Grant Park Today
Today, the neighborhood is regarded as one of the most desirable in the city. Located close to downtown, it seems like hundreds of miles from the bustle of the city, with established trees shading the quiet streets. Festivals, music, Farmer’s Market and neighborhood events occur throughout the year in the park, while its location close to Summerhill, the Beacon, the Memorial Corridor and the Beltline means that food, shops and activities are plentiful.